Thursday, September 8, 2011

デザインギャラリー Design Gallery

Walking around the different side streets in Harajyuku, we spotted a unique building. We decided to go a little closer just to see what it was, it was covered in graffiti, which is not really something you see everyday in Japan. Part of it was under construction so we weren't too sure what it was. But we noticed there was a sign for a cafe, so we decided to stop for a drink.




The Cafe was around the back of the building, in order to get there you have to squeeze past a little opening between the building and a cinder block wall. It's a good thing people in Japan are thin.



This was the coolest cafe I've been to in Japan! It was such a tiny, hidden spot, and it was so cool! It was like we stepped out of Tokyo and into a jungle!


A perfect chair for an ass or a chair for a perfect ass?



I'll admit to taking a picture of the bathroom wall. Talk about stage fright.

We sat at a table with a tree growing out of it. Very hip. We ended up talking with the guy sitting across from us, after we got him to take our picture (clearly he's not a photographer, or he just didn't want my face to ruin the picture). This guy was very nice, asking us all where we were from and why we were in Japan, etc. He had graduated from Toyo University, and after awhile he asked me, 'ハフですか’?(haffu means half Japanese, he asked me if I was half Japanese) All my life no one has ever asked me that. I was SO excited! Usually people say things like 'I never would have guessed, but now that you mention it I can tell because of your eyes' I suppose they mean that my eyes get squinty when I laugh a lot? But regardless it was super exciting. I asked him how he could tell that I had some Japanese in me and I'm actually not really sure what he said. Something about my accent I think. This guy was perfectly nice until the end of the conversation and he asked us if we had skype and if he could have our emails so that we could hang out because he wanted to help us learn Japanese from a local (except he wasn't from Tokyo..)

This cafe was a design gallery, there were art students displaying their work in certain areas that you could browse and meet the artist. Overall a very cool place! It kind of had a laid back Burlington atmosphere, which is hard to come by in Japan.

No comments:

Post a Comment