Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Tokyo Marathon

The Tokyo Marathon was this past Sunday morning and while most people enjoyed it from the comforts of their homes I went out and watched it live! I met with my old teacher to go cheer on her co-worker and my student (Did I mention that I am teaching English in my spare time?), Nakadoi-san. The Tokyo Marathon is run all around Tokyo and despite the cold, it was very entertaining!

I watched with Suda Sensei near Tamachi Station. I think because of the weather was so cold and windy that there weren't too many people out watching. Or they were just watching at a different section of the race.

This guy was running in a french maid costume. The costumes were great! There were so many people running in costumes it almost seemed normal.


So many people !

Not only was he running half naked with a cross on his back, but he was also barefoot! 


After the marathon, Suda Sensei and I met up with an old classmate of mine for lunch. It had been about 10 plus years since the last time we saw each other, but the memories came flooding right back. He is in his junior year at Keio University, studying economics, and getting ready to start 就職活動(shuushoku katsudou - Job hunting). He had an interview with a bank after our lunch which is why he was in a suit. 

It was really nice to be able to see him again after so long.. although I did feel a bit like a bum when being compared with him. He's at a prestigious university in Tokyo studying economics, while I'm just studying Japanese language. And by that I mean having fun in a big city, while occasionally speaking Japanese.


No comments:

Post a Comment