Wednesday, July 18, 2012

夏ばて(natsu-bate)

Time for a quick Japanese lesson! 夏ばて(natsu-bate) is a phrase that roughly translates to summer lethargy. The 夏(natsu) is the character for summer and the ばて(bate) is shortened from ばてる which means exhausted... It's a phrase that refers to Japan's ridiculously hot summer and how it makes you want to do absolutely nothing. This week's weather is warm... yesterday and today it reached 37C (98.6F).. the worst part is definitely the humidity, and the fact that it gets this hot by about 9am. Trust me, it is not fun shoving onto a rush hour train when you and everyone around you is sweating something fierce. 

As much as I want to lie about and avoid the heat and sun (and crowded trains), I've got finals to study for! Trekked to a cafe in Jiyugaoka and plunked down with all my things to try and get a good chunk of studying in today. Tomorrow I have my last Japanese exam and I can't wait for that to be over and done with. This week has been hectic between writing essays and giving presentations, speeches, studying. I  haven't slept in days! I feel like I'm taking crazy pills! It's been so busy that I'm looking forward to Friday, the one day I have this week where I can sleep in!  

No comments:

Post a Comment