Saturday, November 12, 2011

21歳の誕生日! 21st Birthday!

 I'm officially 21! They grow up so fast.. crazy, isn't it? My birthday was a little weird this year since 21 seems like such a big deal in the United States (The drinking age in Japan is 20..) so for my birthday I decided to go to Japan's oldest theme park! Hanayashiki is in Asakusa, Tokyo. It originally opened in 1853 as a 'flower park' when Perry arrived at the end of the Edo era. and it's still in operation today! Here's a link to the website (in English!) if you care to read more about it. http://www.hanayashiki.net/e/index.html


There weren't too many rides or people, overall the parks atmosphere was very weird. We did go in the middle of the day on a Tuesday though. The rides were mostly rusty, unsafe looking, and very short. The whole place kind of felt like a ghost town but it was so much fun!

When we got back to the dorm I was presented with a birthday mikan (orange/clementine) and sung to. I also received a bundle of goodies! It had turned out to be such a great Birthday! Thank you everyone for the cards and goodies I received in the mail as well!!

No comments:

Post a Comment